Monday, May 16, 2011

It's Virginia's fault

I grew up in New Orleans where cooking and eating are serious business and I love to cook.

I cook dinner for my family every night. Two of my daughters don't live here anymore. So I'm cooking for my wife and middle daughter and whatever strays we pick up.

Creole cooking is my favorite, and I have to thank my Mother for teaching me the basics.

What is good food without good wine? I prefer French wine. The French still make the best wine in the world from $10.00 to $1,000.

So the other night daughter Susan and her friends Virginia and Julie were here for dinner celebrating Virginia's last night before moving to Richmond. I fixed a new recipe from Cooking Illustrated for chicken kabobs which we washed down with a crisp dry Provencal rose'. Susan was kidding me about always emailing her my dinner menu for the night. Julie said she would love to be on the email list. Virginia said better yet, start a blog.

So......here it is. My blog about what I'm cooking and what I'm pouring. It is dedicated to all the male chefs out there. All you guys who love to cook and love good wine. All you guys who thinking cooking is something more than just slapping a steak on the grill. All you guys who aren't embarrassed to get a cookbook for Christmas. All you guys who watch "Top Chef" and pull for your favorite like it was a football game.

So Virginia, this is your fault. We will miss you and come back whenever you can: I'll be fixing something. Julie you have a standing invitation any night. Susan, I hope this doesn't embarrass you too much.

Oh. Dinner tonight is penne pasta with homemade tomato sauce and fresh vegetables. I haven't picked the wine yet!

1 comment: